Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is the third largest school district in the United States, serving over 360,000 students in 600 schools and employing nearly 36,000 people, most of them teachers. CPS has set ambitious goals to ensure that every student, in every school and every neighborhood, has access to a world-class learning experience that prepares each for success in college, career and civic life. In order to fulfill this mission we make three commitments to our students, their families and a...
Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is the third largest school district in the United States, serving over 360,000 students in 600 schools and employing nearly 36,000 people, most of them teachers. CPS has set ambitious goals to ensure that every student, in every school and every neighborhood, has access to a world-class learning experience that prepares each for success in college, career and civic life. In order to fulfill this mission we make three commitments to our students, their families and all Chicagoans: academic progress, financial stability and integrity. Five core principles are embedded within these commitments - high quality, rigorous instruction, talented and empowered educators, safety and support, financial stability and collective impact. JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the Board of Education, the Chief Internal Auditor will provide strategic leadership and oversight of CPS' audit programs in compliance with applicable audit standards, regulations, governmental requirements and policies consistent with the organization's strategic and operational objectives, mission and vision. The Chief Internal Auditor demonstrates: a disciplined approach to decision making that is data driven; agility to shifting demands and expectations of the organization's obligations; knowledge, skills, and experience necessary in the performance of internal audit services. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: * Establish direction and provide oversight of the internal audit department to ensure stakeholder alignment and organizational goals and objectives are achieved.
... Show Less
* Conducts risk based audits, both scheduled and unscheduled, with concentration on policies, procedures, and practices that relate to the control, safeguarding, and accountability for funds and assets.
* Prepares and distributes reports on the results of reviews and audits including recommendations for modification of management practices, fiscal policies, and accounting procedures as justified by audit findings.
* Review and appraise the soundness, adequacy and application of accounting, financial and operational controls.
* Oversee the preparation of an annual audit risk assessment.
* Ensure that internal audit methodology is consistently applied and documented.
* Coordinate with the appropriate departments on acquisition due diligence and integration reviews.
* Performs other duties as assigned. TYPE OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: * Bachelors degree accounting, business, finance, economics, or related field. Masters degree preferred.
* Ten (10) years of related audit experience.
* Five (5) years progressive management experience.
* Active certification as a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or other internal audit related certifications. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES REQUIRED: * Ability to effectively communicate accounting information, policies, and/or procedures.
* Thorough understanding of U.S. GAAP, PCAOB and IIA Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
* Strong background in identifying risks, controls and opportunities for improvements associated with business processes, developing and executing audit test plans, and drafting audit reports with summary results for executives.
* Strong communication skills required to present complex issues and alternatives to Management and to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
* Experience leading internal audit teams within a large organization, preferably public company experience, covering relevant financial, operational, compliance and technology risks.
* Commitment to high ethical and professional standards.
* High degree of personal integrity and sound judgment. RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: As a condition of employment with the Chicago Public Schools (CPS), employees are required to live within the geographic boundaries of the City of Chicago within six months of his or her CPS hire date and maintain residency throughout their employment with the district. TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: * Chicago Public Schools is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment based non-immigrant and immigrant visas.
* Chicago Public Schools is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. ~cb~ '214525